Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The final countdown

A week from now, at this hour, most of us Diablo nerds should be deeply immersed in the game we've been waiting on for 10 years. For me, these last few days will go by like the wind. Fittingly, what goes through my head in an endless loop is Europe's The Final Countdown, a song that was a big part of my childhood.


I can't believe we're here, at the stage where we can finally lay our sweaty palms on Diablo 3. Sometimes I think it must be a dream. I still remember how awed I was back in 2008 when they announced the next chapter in the Diablo saga. That feeling closely mirrors what I feel today. I had hoped for many years that the series would be continued. Many times I had serious doubts. After all, if Blizzard were keeping silent about Diablo and there wasn't the tiniest hint that they were working on it, it could be assumed that they had abandoned the series. And then, unexpectedly, against all hope, it happened. They announced Diablo 3!

So here we are, dear friends. Apart for a little self-wonder, the purpose of this post was to remind you all that, if you have purchased the digital version of the game, you will be able to install the game client on Monday, May 14th. Blizzard has stated that players will also be able to apply the day-0 patch to the game on that same day. When the clock strikes midnight PST, the servers will be opened and you will be able to log in without wasting any more time. But that is assuming the servers won't be brought down to their knees by hundreds of thousands or even millions of players trying to log in at the same time.

It's ok though. Blizzard has also mentioned that they would be keeping a close eye on the servers and will queue up players if things get out of hand. I laughed when I read about a potential queue time of "up to 40 seconds". I still remember the days when 40 minute login queues in WoW were de rigueur.

That's all I wanted to say friends. See you all in Hell!

No comments: