Thursday, May 10, 2012

Do you like spoilers?

I mentioned in my previous post that on Monday 14th you'll be able to install the digital version of Diablo 3, almost a whole day before the servers are brought online. Although you won't be able to log into the game, there's talk of possible spoilers once the community gets its hands on that client.

To be honest, I'm not sure that's technically possible. After all, Blizzard says the client is encrypted and will only be unlocked once the servers are online. Besides, many of us have pre-ordered the game a month ago and so far I haven't seen any evidence of such spoilers. On the other hand, Incgamers posted some scenes from the later acts but I skimmed over that article and didn't bother to check it out. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something we have already seen in one form or another.

The article from Incgamers I linked above mentions that new stuff might surface on Monday but I am skeptical, due to the aforementioned encryption. It would be a shame if Blizzard managed to encrypt everything successfully until now, and then on the very last day millions of people somehow get unintended access to that secret content.

As far as spoilers are concerned, I'm somewhere in the middle. In WoW, I read every little thing there was to know about the next expansion (and the next, and the next). Information is power and in WoW that certainly was the case. Most of it, of course, was related to ways in which to make vast amounts of gold when an expansion hit.

In Diablo 3, the situation is a bit different. So far I know that Act 1 takes place around Tristram, Act 2 takes place in a desert area, Act 3 is in the Barbarian highlands and Act 4 is in the High Heavens (correct me if I'm wrong on this). But the exact details are shrouded in mystery and I would like to keep it that way for a few more days. As far as money-making is concerned, it's hard to make any predictions because this is a brand new game with a brand new revenue model, so I'm meh about this aspect.

What I am interested in is the lore and the story. Normally I'm not very big on lore. In WoW I didn't give a hoot about all the intricacies and the myriad side-stories. I was only interested in the main story, and superficially, at that. In Diablo 3, paradoxically, despite being a game focused mainly on combat with a bit of story on the side, I'm a lot more interested in the story than I was in WoW. As a result, I'm reluctant to have anything spoiled before I get the chance to discover it myself.

I mentioned before that on my first play-through in Normal I'm going to level on my own, just so I can experience everything first hand. For this reason, I don't want to read or watch any more spoilers than what I have already seen. Hell, in a week I should finish Normal anyway, and everything will be revealed.

So what about you? What's your take on spoilers? Are you hungry for every little tidbit of information or do you have the will to hold off until you can discover everything yourself?

No comments: