Monday, April 16, 2012

A month from now your life will end

Do all y'all realize that Diablo 3 will be out in exactly one month? I can't believe that after so many years it is finally within grasp. I can't believe that in a month I will have the chance to venture beyond the Skeleton King and Act 1. And I was one of the lucky few with access to the beta. Many more folks will experience Diablo 3 for the first time.

These are exciting times but I'm also freaking out a bit. All of a sudden, the release is looming close and I find that I still have a lot of real-life things to wrap up.

I'm not impatient anymore. I don't have butterflies in my stomach. I calmed down completely after they announced the release date. The weeks before the announcement, the butterflies were doing acrobatics in my gut, but immediately after, the calm settled. I guess it's the calm before the storm.

I am very optimistic about Diablo 3. My feeling isn't shared by everyone, and many fans of the Diablo series have vowed to boycott the game. I understand their concerns because I, too, raged briefly when I found out that D3 would be online-only and it would have a Real Money Auction House. Not long after that, I came to realize that these are things I can live with. The RMAH is an innovative feature and for that it is necessary to keep the game tied to Blizzard's servers.

I can't wait to explore the rest of the game and find out what the devs have prepared for us. The beta is but a tiny sliver of the full game and after being constrained by this puny demo, I am already in awe at the thought of what comes next.

In a month, my real life will end. Metaphorically, not literally. For the next months, perhaps even for the rest of the year or even for the next few years, I predict that real life concerns will struggle to find space in my head. The demonic invasion begins and we are powerless to resist.

No comments: