Friday, July 27, 2012

I quit D3, kind of, and hardcore pr0n

As some of you might have noticed (but I don't blame you if you haven't), I haven't posted anything for a long time. That's because I kinda-sorta quit Diablo 3. Well, not quit it completely but my enthusiasm has cooled off to a large extent.

The thing is, I don't feel like posting anything anymore about Diablo. I was planning an article about a nice Witch Doctor build I was using but I don't have the energy for that. The D3 community is falling into a torpor and so am I. It's surprising because in all my years playing WoW, and despite the occasional nerd rage, this never happened.

There are many problems that plague Diablo 3. Among them I will mention the bad itemization, the extremely hard Inferno difficulty, the futility of playing in groups in Inferno, the rampant botting and hyperinflation, the bad AH interface, the lack of a viable endgame, the insanely high repair costs in Inferno, the poor story and on and on.

But there are also plenty of things that I like. To me, Diablo 3 fits really well in the Diablo series. The moment I lay hands on it it felt like Diablo. I know that this opinion isn't shared universally but it's true for me. The graphics and art are gorgeous and so are the sounds. The gameplay is frantic and largely satisfying. Most of the skills are very satisfying to use and runes make them even better. I still love the pinata loot system but, in truth, Diablo 2 was more satisfying in this aspect.

As a result, I am still playing the game but a lot less than at the beginning. In fact, over the past few weeks I haven't farmed Inferno at all. Instead, I've concentrated on leveling my Witch Doctor to 60, though she's still in Hell Act 4.

Then, I spent a couple of hours every weekend with my friend from across the big pond, leveling my Wizard. She's 52 now and the going is slow because at these high levels we can't gain more than a couple of levels per play session. Problem is, I'm itching to get her to 60 because I love the Wizard best of all classes. Of course, there's a distinct possibility that she'll suck in Inferno but we'll see.

My Demon Hunter with 50K DPS can't do shit in Inferno Act 1. He destroyed everything in Hell but Inferno is really bad. He's a 2-hit kill and mobs move too fast for him to be able to escape. I just can't do it, so I abandoned him for now.

Surprisingly, I decided to start a hardcore character. It sounds crazy because I always thought it would be a waste of time but here I am. The class? Wizard, of course. She's 22 in Act 2 and she's doing fine so far. My strategy is to repeat content until I outlevel it, just to be on the safe side.

I find it interesting that in hardcore it seems the Auction House moves better. I sold most of the good items I found and I even managed to sell a rare level 13 ring for 20K. Prices are higher, but you can still find good deals. It should be really interesting if they add a hardcore RMAH.

So that's what I've been up to these past few weeks. I've also sold a few items on the RMAH here and there, for the minimum amount because most of it was junk.

Plans for the future? I just want to level that damn Wizard to 60 so I can try to kick some butt the way I like it. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be posting too often, I just don't feel energized like I was when the game launched.

What about y'all? If I don't get any comments I'll just assume none of my readers is playing any more lol.

No comments: