Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Oh the nerfs!

Fuck you Blizzard! I said it in the past and, there you go, I'm saying it again. Patch 1.0.3 is oh so bittersweet. It brings some nice changes, like reduced crafting costs but also fucks many of us hard in the ass. Sorry if your delicate ears are insulted by my cursing but that's how I feel right now. I've suddenly lost all the wind in my sails.

You see, I was preparing to write this post in which I enthused about finally being sufficiently geared to farm Fields of Misery on Inferno with my Monk. Over a couple of weeks I managed to buy a few pieces of gear from the AH, not too cheap mind you, and at the end of this my Monk found himself with 17K+ DPS, 27K health (a bit on the low side) and 250 resistances.

I beat the Skeleton King without issues, as well as a lot of champions and rares, and only died about 3 times in 2-3 hours of play. I reached the Fields of Misery and did a complete clear. Boss packs were challenging but eminently doable. I got a lot of nice drops, mostly upgrades for my Barbarian. Rare items galore. Happiness.

And then along comes Blizzard and completely fucks me and a lot of other people over. Of course, they had to nerf Increased Attach Speed (IAS). And they did it in the most ham-handed way possible by retroactively slashing IAS on all weapons and items (except for quivers). I was fervently hoping that they would only do this on future items. Alas, it wasn't so. I had some significant IAS on a few of my items.

Worst of all, my 800+ DPS fist weapon for which I paid in excess of 600K, had +24% IAS. Now it has 10%. Guess how much my total DPS dropped. It went from 17K+ to 14K+. The weapon now barely has a bit over 700 DPS and in the process has been rendered valueless, as I doubt I can sell it for even 50K on the AH. Nice work Blizzard! Fuck you again!

Now my choices are to spend my remaining gold on upgrades that will bring me back to where I was before the nerfs, or to wait a few more weeks and try to catch some good deals until I can step again in Inferno. You can tell I'm overjoyed.

Don't even get me started on the increased repair costs. If you ask me, that's another quick-but-dumb fix they implemented to "equalize" the difference between ranged and melee classes. Apparently ranged classes were having a ball in Inferno, throwing themselves repeatedly at boss packs in a kamikaze sort of way until the pack went down. I don't know what they are smoking over there at Blizzard but that sounds like complete bullshit to me. Dying is the thing I hate most. I will do everything in my power to avoid it. And now I will hate it even more.

And then there's the little nerfs to drop rates. I won't even go there because this isn't what bothers me the most.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. All that time spent farming gold to afford better gear is now wasted. I feel robbed and I can't even imagine what people who have paid real money for those items feel. I can't even focus on the good things the patch brings because I am too distressed by the bad stuff to care.

So tell me, has 1.0.3 screwed you over?

No comments: