Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's your favorite class/gender combo in D3?

Like every other Diablo fan I've been watching videos coming out of the Diablo 3 friends-and-family beta for the past few days. What can I say, I'm impressed. The graphics look great and so does the interface. Everything about it screams "Diablo". I even like the way they did the skill system but this is a discussion for another time.

Looking at all these videos I've been asking myself what class and gender combination I will play when I get my sweaty paws on this game. I came to the realization that most of my characters will be females. Here's why.

Barbarian
I am very tempted to start with the Barbarian as my first character. It is the original D2 class so it should feel familiar. The Barbarian is a very strong fighter and, thus, easily mastered. (S)he's strong physically and can take loads of punishment. On the other hand, in Diablo 2 the Barbarian was never my first choice. Second or third, but never first.

Male or female? Both are equally good choices so I will be hard pressed to make a decision. The male looks imposing, a deadly mass of muscles and a terrifying presence. The female, on the other hand, tempts me greatly. She's the typical Amazon woman (not the Amazon class of D2), the female warrior who takes males as slaves, is just as strong and fights just as well as any man. Besides, who would have imagined a female Barbarian in Diablo 2? I'm on the fence here. I might just play 2 Barbarians so I can have both sexes.

Demon Hunter
This will probably be the first character I will try. I always liked ranged classes in RPGs so the DH is the obvious choice. In Diablo 2, the Amazon was my favorite class.

Male or female? Female definitely. The female is dark-haired, spunky and sexy. The male is too wiry for my tastes and I'd much rather look at a sexy female anyway. So this one is settled.

Wizard
I was tempted to use the word "Sorceress" here because, let's face it, that's what the Wizard class is. This will probably be my 2nd or 3rd class, because I love ranged spellcasting so much.

Male or female? Female definitely. The male is too wimpy, while the female is just right. Not as spunky as the Demon Hunter female but just as sexy. Besides, I love Asian-looking women. So this one is also settled.

Witch Doctor
This class will be second to last, because it resembles Diablo 2's Necromancer so much. Since it relies a lot on summons, I would prefer other classes before this one. Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I get the hang of it, just like I ended up enjoying the Necromancer, although I never mastered it.

Male or female? Both are ok but I will definitely play the female. What could be sexier than a Caribbean Voodoo priestess?

Monk
I'm afraid the Monk will be the last class on my list and that's mostly because I'm not a really big fan of hand-to-hand melee classes. Though the Monk can use certain types of weapons, (s)he is primarily a class based on martial moves. Who knows, I might end up enjoying it more than other classes.

Male or female? This time I will pick the male, no doubt about it. The female looks... meh. The male is a tough-looking son-of-a-bitch with rippling muscles and a Rasputin beard. Besides, I don't like the female's voice much and who ever heard of a female monk??? Nun maybe, but not monk. I kid, I know there are female monks but it doesn't sound right with me.

So that's it then. This is the approximate order in which I will be playing my Diablo 3 classes, together with gender choices for each of them. What are your preferences?

No comments: